27.12.05

Stuck on a pole in a cornfield

First things first, be sure to read Moka's interview with the refreshmints posted earlier today!

Okay, I'm Oum. Big bro Cris and I are pleased to be new contributors here. Holidays mean visit to Oklahoma which equals family activities. We had to go to the mall. It was a terror. Anyways we got some new music from the family, I got American Primitive Vol. II, The Flamingos Collectables set, and Crish got me Quintron The Unmasked Organ Light-Year of Infinity Man. Anyone get any super exciting box sets or anything?

Anyways My post today is about Elvis movie songs. Most families have Hitchcock movie marathons or whatever, we've done that, but really, the Elvis movie nights is where it's at. These songs I've picked are interesting enough just on their kitsch value, but the writing is so audaciously ignorant they become oddly charming representations of 60's Hollywood culture. "Harem Holiday" comes from a movie called Harum Scarum where Elvis roams through unspecific Middle Eastern countries rescuing women and children, beating up bad guys, making money, and singing songs. "Mexico" is from Fun in Acapulco which sort of the same thing but in Acaupluco and I don't know where "Kissin' Cousins" is from ....yet!

Elvis Presley- Harem Holiday
Elvis Presley- Mexico
Elvis Presley- Kissin' Cousins

Here is Crish's post:
I wanted to share something off the Nautical Almanac record Transcripted Divisons Oum gifted to me, but it is a record so instead i will share a track from their outstanding Cover the Earth album from this year. Futuristo primitive rhythms and circuit bending freakouts sure but Nautical Almanac are not another aimless noise act playing with broken toys. They're making a strategic retreat underground where they are still free to make ape sounds, indulge intuition, turn our technology against us, and invent. This music exudes dogma and conviction, but however engaged I am I can't wrap my mind around it.

Nautical Almanac- Megacorps

Nautical Almanac- stopstart

Image is from Thinkmule.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Fisocalis said…

    Nautical Almanac is creepy! In a good way that is, surreal stuff reminds me of nurse with wound and all those freaks.
    And those elvis tracks made my day, I danced to them while making breakfast.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Beej said…

    The Elvis song "Kissing Cousins" is from his 1964 movie of the same name...

    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0057227/

    Elvis' is an Army officer and tasked with getting his hillbilly cousin (also played by Elvis) to relinquish his land for a missle silo. I don't think he kisses himself in the movie, though. But, it's been awhile since I've seen it. Notable because it features curvy Yvonne "Bargirl" Craig. That much I DO remember...

    Keep up the good work!
    B

     
  • At 1:48 PM, December 28, 2005, Anonymous Beej said…

    Ooops. That should be "Yvonne "BATgirl" Craig. As in the series with Adam West. She also played the nutty green Orion "dancer" in that Old Skool Star Trek ep where Kirk & Spock get trapped in an intergalactic looney bin- with hilarious consequences & scene-chewing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home