4.4.06

i'll buy me a tally-feather double dose of dilly dally


hey all,
oum and i are two tired looking kids, drowning under too much of everything. I guess it's better than too little but it means we haven't been able to keep up with our internet activities. On top of that because of a basketball game, free form break, tornado, and baseball game we haven't done our radio show in a month! Needless to say I'm am pleased to take a breather from life to do some blogging. We wanted to do one of those "list" posts made famous by squashed. So I suggested a traditional fiddle dance music list to be difficult and oum didn't really stick to that topic...which is her own way of being difficult cos she has the knowledge to make a way better list than me. anyways, good music.
cheers,
chris and oum




my list
1. Ernest V. Stoneman - Sally Goodin' (got from Thomas Edison's Attic show)
2. Theodore J. Swystun- Kozaczka Szumka Ukrainian Village Music
3. J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers - Kiss Me Cindy Good For What Ails You
4. Henry L. Bandy- Sail Away Ladies Kentucky Mountain Music
5. Rumania group- Dance Song Secret Museum Of Mankind Vol. 1



oums list
1. Csokolom- Mysterieuse May I Kiss Your Hand
2. Ioutbaten Boiourgtslooun And Her Father- Urtyn duu Music of Mongolia
3. Nautical Almanac- wielding the reflex fiddle Rooting for the Microbes
4. Velvet Underground- The Black Angel's Death Song Velvet Underground w/ Nico
5. Bascom Lamar Lunsford- Jeannie Jenkins Smokey Mountain Ballads

image is a scanned oum doodle

10 Comments:

  • At 7:46 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    You two never cease to amuse me.
    I was currently looking exhaustingly for interesting music so you can't imagine how glad I feel listening to this list of songs. Thank you.

    I'm so glad to hear you back, you don't have to necessarily do lists in here you know :).

    Nice doodle Oum.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Squashed said…

    wait, did I hear I made something famous? Run for the hill foks......ruuunnnn....

    :p

     
  • At 9:40 PM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous meatfly said…

    Beautiful! Maybe some of those fiddle dances by Bela Bartok would fit too... :D

    Is there any meaning behind the "m" in the doodle?

     
  • At 10:17 PM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Pratistha said…

    I'm so excited! I have 4 of the 5 albums in Oum's list!!!
    I'm sorry but it's so weird to find artists like nautical almanac or loutbaten boiourgtslooun mentioned on other's people choices of any kind. So glad to find another fan of their stuff.

    !!! I'm amazed!!! please post more often I love the music you share with us. Nice list too crish :) you made my day thank you very much.

     
  • At 10:29 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Squashed said…

    Pratistha said... "

    does it mean you are not a mongolian music fan? (am just asking... :p)

     
  • At 10:54 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger crish and oum said…

    COOL!
    THANKS MOKA, THANKS ALL!
    Meatfly, BELA BARTOK! crish says he was a folk music researcher but i thought he was classical, where should i LOOK? and the "M" is for "Mercury" i was drawing Space Cowboys.

    Pratisha, thanks and ya'welcome, our music genes must share a link.

    peace and love internet nerds,
    O
    UM

     
  • At 11:11 PM, April 04, 2006, Anonymous meatfly said…

    Oum:
    yes, crish is right this time. bartok was primarly known as a folk music researcher in Hungaria. You could try listening to "the bartok album" by Muzsikas, it's relatively easy to get and it features Marta Sebestyen and classical violinist Alexander Balanescu. Most of the songs in the record are hungarian gypsy fiddle songs recovered by Bartok and it features some 4 songs composed by him too.

     
  • At 12:34 AM, April 05, 2006, Blogger GiL said…

    i missed this.

    glad yr back.

     
  • At 6:51 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    I'm thinking that maybe John Hartford could also fit in here...

     
  • At 1:31 AM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous fiddlinshim said…

    Thanks! I had been searching for that Mainer version of Cindy, and it led me to your page. Great stuff! Let me suggest a couple of fiddle classics if you want to resume in this vein sometime: 1) Sally Goodin, played by Eck Robertson, available on quite a few LPs and CDs. A great tour-de-force from the 1920s. 2) Either or both of Fine Tmes At Our House or Rye Straw, played by John W. Summers, available on a Folkways LP called "Fine Times At Our House", Indiana recordings from 1960s.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home