5.9.06

-----------Flatline-------------


Flatline is a term I have become quite attached too these last days. I began to use this word for a specific playlist I created in my ipod, in this playlist one can find mellow music that borders on mellancollic but dosen't quite get there. I guess you have to listen to the songs to truly understand what I'm trying to explain here. But anyway, I've found myself listening incessantly to Calexico and Iron & Wine lately, I believe they're perfect 'flatline' material.

The notes, rythms and textures of these two bands blend perfectly with a with a silent retrospective mood. I personally like to enjoy these songs on my own, or quietly with a special someone. I actually think they can even fit into a 'farewell summer' playlist.

Either way, I hope you enjoy this mellow playlist as much as I do.

With love,
Lotus.

Calexico/ Iron & Wine - Burn that Broken Bed (In the Reins EP, 2005)
Calexico/ Iron & Wine - Sixteen, Maybe Less (In the Reins EP, 2005)
Calexico - Sonic Wind (Hot Rail, 2001)
Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger (In Good Company OST, 2005)

Bonus tracks:
Pram - The Pawnbroker
Ane Brun - This Voice
Lady & Bird - Walk Real Slow

Note: 'In the Reins' is a collaboration between Iron & Wine's Sam Beam and Calexico. The songs in this album explode with Beam's mellodious voice backed by Calexico's exotic blend of evocative horns, retro reverb guitars and profound harmonies. A real treat if you ask me

Image: 'In the Reins' album cover

6 Comments:

  • At 1:23 AM, September 06, 2006, Anonymous Ros said…

    mmmmm calexico!!!!!they're great and they're coming to madrid very soon!!!!!

     
  • At 10:52 AM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Squashed said…

    Fishy has been obsessing with calexico in the past week. :D

    For my next trick I shall make her obsessed over eva cassidy. watch me.

     
  • At 11:03 AM, September 06, 2006, Blogger music is art said…

    *burn that broken bed* is so good :) have you heard the original version "overhead" by iron & wine? its one of my favorites~

     
  • At 6:36 PM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    the trapeze swinger es una de mis canciones favoritas de el, recomiendo upward over the mountain si no la has escuchado.

    la cancion de pram ya la habia subido :P
    http://mookamotel.blogspot.com/2006/08/things-will-change-but-it-will-always.html

    buenas canciones.

     
  • At 6:43 PM, September 06, 2006, Blogger LotusOverWater said…

    uy si es cierto Moka... perdon! ajaja no recordaba de donde habia sacado la de Pram :P... lo siento!!!!!!!
    Squashed I am SO looking forward to being obsessed with eva cassidy, I cant wait *evil grin*!!!
    Hey and I'm sorry about the Pram song.. Moka had already uploaded it.. I forgot!

     
  • At 4:35 AM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Ekko said…

    that calexico/iron wine album is fantastic. all your readers should buy it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home