6.12.05

80's cover and some mash-ups

Elevator Beat:
I'm turning 20 in a few days. I was born in the day that music died, that was around 1985.
I recently found out that nothing compares 2 u is a song by Prince and not by Sinead O' Connor as common belief states. It was a bit of a shock for me.
Come feel nostalgic with me while listening to some 80's covers:

Monorail - everybody wants to rule the world (tears for fears)
Ivy - let's go to bed (The Cure)
The Beautiful South - don't fear the reaper (blue oyster cult)
Arto Lindsay - erotic city (prince)
Stereophonics - nothing compares 2 u (prince)

Well I'm not against mash-ups (except that one time when imbecility created "the grey album", the combination between the almost perfect "white album" by the beatles and the flawful "black album" by jay-z, and I must confess I'm thankful to the big labels for detecting this piece of shit and killing it before it saw the light). If you'd like to learn how to participate in a campaigne to support mash-ups go to downhill battle, a great site for musical activists.

Dean Gray - Novocaine Rhapsody (Queen/Green Day)
CCC - she's slipping away (The Beatles/ Kinobe)
Eve Massacre - tom's diner continues (Suzanne Vega/Dj Koze)
Dj Earworm - noone takes your freedom (Scissor Sisters/The Beatles/George Michael/Aretha Franklin)
Go Home Productions - breakin my bloody princess (Kasabian/The Music/My Bloody Valentine)

Image: "The triumph of Death" by Peter Bruegel.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:18 AM, December 07, 2005, Blogger Knut said…

    Great post! I heard some guitar loops from The Stone Roses too in the fabulous mash up "breaking my bloody process". They weren't mentioned.
    The cover of Let's go to bed was fabulous! Thank you.
    Great blog btw, one of my favourites.

     
  • At 1:51 PM, December 07, 2005, Blogger l_l said…

    Why was prince so disapointing to you?80's sound was born because of him!
    Love your Blog

     
  • At 6:26 PM, December 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No Prince isn't dissapoining for me at all, I think the man's a genius, It was just a lil bit shockin for me to discover that's not a song from Sinead O' Connor, she's the one dissapointing me.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I remember correctly, Prince wrote the song for Sinead and didn't come out with his own recording for the song until later.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home