13.5.06

Elegant No.23a

That Beauty is not, as fond men misdeem,
An outward show of things, that only seem;
But that fair lamp, from whose celestial ray
That light proceeds which kindleth lover's fire,
Shall never be extinguished nor decay;
But, when the vital spirits do expire,
Unto her native planet shall retire,
For it is heavenly born and cannot die,
Being a parcel of the purest sky.
Edmund Spenser

One idea I tried to explore early at MdM was the idea of 'elegant'. It was in tandem with some of Moka's earlier series. (elevator/downtempo and kinky) But after A. E. no 2b post, I quickly moved somewhere else. Here is another try

No. 23a explores two ideas. One is musical, the idea of elegant in musical expression. The playlist backbone is soulfull voices interspersed with songs that swerve between pop, jazz and blues. Feminine elegant, the relation between great voices, context of times and music styles. Pulse of history. These songs are exquisite, with carefull dynamic control, melody, ever changing rythm and texture. Above all it's craftmanship, great techniques done seemingly effortless. Everything necessary without being excessive, each moment is pure. It is an economical equilibrium between form and function. Second idea, is simply trying to find all combination of post forms, anything that cannot easily fit within traditional print or radio, be it subject or type of music. So here is Elegant No.23a.

01. Etta James - At Last
02. Vijay Iyer/Mike Ladd - Density Of The 19th Century
03. Sun Ra - Angels And Demons At Play
04. Medeski, Martin & Wood - Ekoostic Hooka (Live) (rp)
05. The Gossip - Dark Lines
06. Cassandra Wilson - Voodoo Reprise
07. The Avalanches - Tonight May Have to Last Me All My Life

image: brightsoulphotography

8 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM, May 14, 2006, Blogger evan said…

    The Gossip are totally underrated. I keep meaning to do a post on them . . .

     
  • At 1:34 PM, May 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this. But may I ask where is Nina Simone?

     
  • At 4:50 PM, May 14, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    octaviana said...
    I love this. But may I ask where is Nina Simone? "

    I'll try to include it in the next entry in the series. But I have to say, with how I do things, all I can say, it will happen between now and end of next millenia.

     
  • At 5:07 PM, May 14, 2006, Blogger Seidrik said…

    good selecta ! Merci.
    Princess Nina...
    on
    http://www.moistworks.com/
    http://www.moistworks.com/media/NinaSimone_LoveMeOrLeaveMe.mp3

     
  • At 9:09 AM, May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    gorgeous photo and a great mix! Thanks Squashed.

     
  • At 11:51 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    beautiful.
    Btw, I was listening to a mia doi todd song you posted months ago while studying and I didn't realize how beautiful the song was until I heard it subconsciously yesterday.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Moka said... a mia doi todd song you posted months ago while studying and I didn't realize how beautiful the song "

    It has odd meter, that's why.

    That AE2b list is actually a modified new wave/blond redhead list I have from way back. I was trying to make a very slow, long dissonant list. Sort of oddball harmony, but in very beautiful way.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    wendy said...
    gorgeous photo and a great mix! Thanks Squashed. "

    Hey thanks. I'll try to do more happy pix next. with loud summer color. :D

    everybody is getting way too serious.

    and I will post britney spears and marky mark. woo hoo... (okay maybe not. Moka will kick me out of the blog. lol) ... but come to think of it. I probably should post the ultimate pastiche playlist.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home