27.6.06

Bossa Nova Annex

A small bossa nova anex playlist. Despite being short, this list lies smack in the middle of "bossa nova". A mix between samba and jazz, bossa nova becomes popular around the 60's. It goes as far back as 1953 whn Brazillian guitarist Laurindo Almeida and Texas-born bassist Harry Babasin combines the two styles during a show at Hollywood's 881 Club. In Herbie Mann description, Bossa nova shows that a player can be lyrical and still swing, that one can be masculine without shouting, and has long line that is important in jazz. Bossa nova was born to be cool and sensuous. It's the best combination music has to offer when the time demand. This list below are mainly from Blue Notes Records which is the epicenter of 60's jazz evolution with a mix of cool here and there. enjoy.


01. Stanley Turrentine - Wave
02. Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - O Grande Amor
03. Stan Getz - Summertime
04. Dexter Gordon - Love for Sale
05. Joe Henderson - Blue Bossa

Image credit: eyecatcher

6 Comments:

  • At 3:14 PM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sorry about the slow update. I finally able to upload the whole thing, since some of the songs above are pretty big. But I hope it worth the wait.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, June 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great posts but...we talk about Getz and Turrentine.I mean safe.I enjoyed your article explaining the bossa nova.
    You are not a jukebox but with one more dime can i listen Laurindo Almeida and A.C Jobim?

     
  • At 4:45 PM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    lol.

    ...yeah I wish i could do it faster..., but this juke box is completely broken until next week. Not that I don't want to post more Bossa nova, but I have to post 2 more lists before going back to bossa nova by the end of the week. (mostly summer stuff, little review maybe)

    and it takes me long time to upload file. If I squeeze too many lists, other people can't post. Things are getting very crowded cause Moka has high connection and can upload files quickly, I don't. (not sure what carl, gil, Kahlo have)

    ...I'll try to squeeze more bossa nova after the usual lists go up...

     
  • At 8:46 AM, June 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you squashed :>

     
  • At 1:17 PM, June 28, 2006, Blogger numaleon said…

    How difficult is to find good tributes. Thanks.

     
  • At 5:52 AM, July 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this blog very much! I'd found variaty music from pop, rock, electronica, indie and even jazz here. I'm coming back here everyday with expectations and Moka's wonderful selections never disappointed me. Thank you very much!
    Sorry for my broken English and more jazz please~

    Regards from Macau.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home