22.1.06

2006 List

Everybody did "best of 2005", so I figure I'd beat the rush and build my yearly list now. Joking aside, there are enough pre-release materials out there to sketch 2006. With little guessing, imagination, and weekend idle time, I bring you a '2006 list'. In 2005, there were two surprises: people liked 'freak-folks' and Thelonious Monk 'Ephistropy' actually made the top chart. Combined with what music blogs already cross-posting, I am making a 2006.

2006 will see a more electric version of freak-folks with Jazzy flavor on top of revival of more soulfull voices. Cat Power, Jenny Lewis, and The Gossip are in there considering the oversize buzz already built up since last year. Point Juncture,WA and The Impossible Shapes are new strong bands with plenty of online buzz. The Dead Science, Women & Children, Patrick Phelan are the obvious choice for the new sound mix. Overall they are surprisingly nice, imo. Crisp, gentle, well executed, with some lingering somber touches as if we all just lost something intangible. 'We are unsure'. Cat Power and Jenny Lewis capture it the best.

So here they are, pre-release, soon to be released, not yet on the market, and little wishfull thinking, I give you the 2006 list. enjoy. (Leave comment so we can look back at the end of the year.)

01. The Dead Science - Threnody
02. Guillemots - Made Up Love Song #43
03. Captain Beefheart - I Love You, You Big Dummy
04. Cat Power - Islands
05. Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Happy
06. The Gossip - Listen Up!
07. Point Juncture, WA - Cardboard Box
08. The Impossible Shapes - Pan-Ther
09. Patrick Phelan - Lesser Laws
10. Women & Children - Headless

image : ojoblanco

10 Comments:

  • At 8:12 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First post here...bytheway...I love your blog. One of my daily faves.

    My friend Ian plays bass on the new Patrick Phelan record. Very good stuff indeed. I think it's Phelan's best to date.

    My record is coming out this year as well on Dry County Records. Feel free to preview via my myspace link provided.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great list Squashed! Actually I already posted that song from Phelan;
    http://mookamotel.blogspot.com/2005/12/more-winters-love.html
    But yes, that's definitely a record worth looking this year.
    Never heard of women & children and dead science, I'll take a peak.
    And captain beefheart will release new material this year? This is gooood, thanks.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A nice top 10, let's see which choices still stand by the end of the year-

     
  • At 2:37 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is a great list, and thanks for it - but could you tell us something about that picture? It's haunting me!

     
  • At 2:40 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry, too busy looking at the pic to notice the image credit at the bottom ...

     
  • At 3:01 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Luke and Zach are DJs said…

    yo, love the list. I definitely agree on the freak-folk tip. What do you think of breakcore in 2006? Also, I think some great noiserock is still picking up more steam.

     
  • At 7:53 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The last link is broken :(

    Good top, though, even if Pan-Ther sounds strangely like The Vaselines' Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Moka said...
    And captain beefheart will release new material this year? This is gooood, thanks.
    8:33 PM, January 22, 2006

    no no, that would be the wishfull thinking part. :D

    The list is not pure 2006 matrial, 2-3 are old. But I think the "sound" will pop out again sooner or later.

    The Dead science just release a new album last year. so I doubt they will release one this year. They are new group. 'Threnody' is from 2003. TDS is a little like xiu-xiu except with more accoustic jazz touch instead of synth. TDS is not slowcore/downtempo tho'... but interesting enough.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Little note on the unknown:

    -They all have webpage. I was just too lazy to compile them all. most have more mp3.

    -The Dead science. Extremely well played bass/rythm section with freejazz flavor packed in tight rock format. They are mean and will slice you deep. They are not emo however since most of their songs are expansive sound exploration.

    I think they are Seattle based. My fav new group. But I have a quirky taste so...

    -The Gossip. They've been around doing down and dirty Blues/punk for several years. In the upcoming album, they are changing the texture a little. I just like the front girl. She has deep voice and amazing dynamic.

    -Women & children. They are practically unknown folksy group. Their sound is larger and more symphonic than Bernheart groups.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How did you get these songs? Amazing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home