19.1.06

Miserable folks

Troubled souls create beautiful music. I'm sure you all know Beth Gibbons, Damien Rice and Elliot Smith, they are (were in the case of suicidal elliot) miserable folks that I posted here so I might attract your attention (if you're here for them, then you fell into my trap, muahaha) towards underlooked artists like Micah P. Hinson, Mount Eerie, and Holopaw. I'm not going to go too much into details but I highly recommend you to hear these 3 artists that released records last year that went under my radar, I truly regret it now and I'm very dissapointed at our readers..., why are you not telling me about these great artists? You know what? I'm not posting again until someone recommends me some good music via the comments. I'm serious.

Well, I'd like to tell you about Micah P. Hinson because his story it's too interesting to leave it out; Micah was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household, at the age 19 he met the widow of a notable rockstar (?), a former Vogue cover model. This woman was also his downfall. Hinson started living the very bohemian life full of drugs and alcohol abuse. He was later arrested for forging prescriptions. At only 19 he was homeless and broke. He started working on a telemarketing job and in the meanwhile he started writing songs. After having enough material he teamed up with some friends and recorded "and the gospel of progress". He was 22 when he finally released this album. It makes me sad and humbled to think that I am 20 and I haven't advanced a bit in the ways Mr. Hinson did.

I'm also posting a song from "drums not dead", the new Lp from the Liars which will see the day of light any time soon... surprisingly (or maybe not that much) the song "the other side of mt. heart attack" is calm and sad, not the type of tune you'd expect from this usually hyperactive NYC band. I'm a bit excited about "the liars" so expect me annoying you later with a full post about them.

Damien Rice - cheers darlin'
Elliot Smith - between the bars
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - mysteries
Holopaw - holiday
Micah P. Hinson - stand in my way
Mount Eerie - stop singing
Liars - the other side of mt. heart attack

Image by the very talented photographer, Jan Saudek.

10 Comments:

  • At 3:06 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Recommendations: Quiet Village Project, Map Of Africa, Lindstrom and Prins Thomas, Todd Terje, Esquivel ;) Nice tunes, once again. As far as the Liars obssession you can't go wrong with a little Outhud.

     
  • At 5:38 AM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    photo looks like something from the artists *Gorilla Girls*. If you haven't heard of them, check them out. An interesting group focusing on art. Enjoy your posts and hey, you've got plenty of time to make your way in this crazy world. Muse

     
  • At 9:15 AM, January 20, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Oh yeah, also check out Bonnie Prince Billy's (Will Oldham) I See A Darkness for stuff in a similar vein to the post. Also Fred Neil (Original version of Everybody's Talkin' At Me) and Gram Parsons. Do you get Mojo over there? They've covered most of the artists in the post in previous issues. Oh yeah, I'm also a Saudek fan. He's put out some books on www.taschen.com , check out their site for similar kinds of stuff! I reckon that Kahlo must dig their stuff judging from her site!

     
  • At 1:31 PM, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey moka, also check out manyfingers!

    - don loope

     
  • At 1:20 AM, January 21, 2006, Blogger like a eagle said…

    if you like Liars, I'd much more strongly suggest Silver Apples, This Heat, or The Camberwell Now....hell, even the Chromatics for a more recent "version" of this type of thing...

    ok, that settles it, i'll make a post soon with all of this stuff... :)

    bye bye

     
  • At 8:32 AM, January 21, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Oh yeah, to get Quiet Village's best track so far goto http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1155WLR5WA2CI2XVT32FPLIPEF (courtesy of The Daughters of Invention)and pray that the link is still active. The future of music hopefully.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, January 21, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Here's more:

    Map Of Africa - Dirty Lovin'
    http://s7.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1A0EC5MY4O4TW14OFDCCNYIMK5

    Quiet Village Project - Too High To Move
    http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2QL6VN3HR2UPG0VNF03E5NP9QN

    Quiet Village Halloween Mix (This is an over 70 meg file and it's over an hour long, but it really really rules)
    http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0O91WK2GNXVIE2Y7TZPI0BWKKO

     
  • At 10:09 AM, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THAnkU guys, I will check them all makrugaik, resume posting tomorrow sunday :)

     
  • At 2:59 PM, January 21, 2006, Blogger c said…

    i'm interested in any liars updates you have - i'm expecting the new stuff to be a bit of a departure, but excited for it either way....

     
  • At 6:31 PM, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know I'm being picky but it's elliott with a double tee. Anyways, I'm really liking your '06 list!

    <3

     

Post a Comment

<< Home