28.6.06

Nice, Generics and Everything Else

I. Directional counter balance. To fill my quota of non existence rule, here is a perfectly pop-ish list. Yes, this snark has to end sometimes, but on serious side, I do have to post something less extreme so later I can get away with exotic stuff. I cobble this in about 5 minutes. If it isn't up to usual lists, use the comment section to complain. eh hmmm...

"Generic Pop List"

01. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
02. Money Brother - Reconsider Me
03. Tapes 'n Tapes - Insistor
04. New York Rifles - Redlight Suppertime
05. Bobby Baby - Bobby


II. Noteable recent album releases. Since Moka is on vacation, I'll gobble all the good CD's and do my mini pre-reviews now. Fuller playlist later.

Bring Me The Workhorse by My Brightest Diamond. A beautiful album done by Shara Worden. She is opera singer by trade, sings with Sufjan Stevens and it shows. Her voice is somewhere between Mia Doi Todd and PJ Harvey, but all her songs are intimate. Strings, guitar, layers, and close mic, very close. This album would be my top choice for Fall. (Release date is August 22)

01. My Brightest Diamond - Disappear

The Avalanche by Sufjan Stevens. Obvious season pick. His usual fare of music, outakes from his last album Illinois.

02. Sufjan Stevens - The Henney Buggy Band

WWI by White Whales. A retro 70's rock album, in tradition of Led Zeppelin. It's a familiar work with interesting story to tell.

03. White Whales - The Admiral

S/T by Brightblack Morning Light. A slowcore gospel mixed with California psychedelia. One of my recent favorite.

04. Brightblack Morning Light - Everybody Daylight

Mobile by Glenn Kotch. A Jazz experimental album, percussian work really. It has two tracks I really like. The whole thing is academic, but not without its lyrical moment.

05. Glenn Kotsch - Projections of (What) Might. . .


Image: Gustav Klimt, Serpent I (1904-07)

7 Comments:

  • At 2:18 AM, June 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thx for Moneybrother - it's very rare to listen him on the net outside of scandinavia. ;))

     
  • At 12:03 PM, June 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Shara Worden, what a wonderful discoverment.. and Glenn Kotche sounds a little like Autechre yet different.
    Good stuff

     
  • At 12:43 PM, June 29, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    fk,

    The track from My Brightest Diamond isn't one of the prettiest one. (But since the album isn't released yet, I cannot post more) But overall the album is nice.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    That brightblack is gloomy in nice way. I am not sure why they release it for summer, It makes a nice fall album. I have to post some songs right after all summer stuff is out.

     
  • At 3:05 PM, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just wanted to say.. greetings from singapore. this blog is great! i'm definitely visiting regularly =)

     
  • At 8:54 PM, July 01, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Don't forget to link everywhere and tell friends. We need to take back good music. woo...!

     
  • At 8:23 AM, July 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Before I forgot to add. Furtado's last album is very bland. The song I post, probably is the only track I like. Everything else is generic.

    I'll go with village voice review.

    http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0627,catucci,73711,22.html

    Furtado is game, in other words, but Timbo brings beats, not chemistry. Loose isn't a love child, but a bump-and-grind that never finds a groove: "Do It" weakly evokes J.J. Fad, "Glow" is a coy request for an orgasm with a deep but ineffectual bass buzz, and "Showtime" just another lush commitment jam earmarked for radio. If this disc has a credo, it's from "Maneater," the most alive song here: "Move your body around like a nympho." It's not your place to judge Nelly for sexing up and refusing to settle down, but that doesn't mean you can't look askance at the company she keeps.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home