5.10.06

Like suffocation via cheesecloth

Being utterly stressed by exams and projects this last weeks I spent the past Saturday drinking myself off at a fancy 12 hour fest my grandfather threw to celebrate my grandmother's 70th birthday. At some point in this type of parties the band will eventually play a meaningful ballad selected by the couple and they'll get up and dance the piece while they get joined by other members of the concurrence. In the middle of my drowsiness I was left wondering the ballad I would choose in my own wedding. My mind kept thinking about "no surprises" by rh or "fade into you" by mazzy star but the lyrics ain't precisely in the light side of things- second thought I had was to instruct the band to play "heartbeats" by the knife in ballad style but I don't know how complicated or good this would sound so it depends on the band's talent.... then I thought, what the fuck, we'll dance tango! but I don't know how to tango and I'd have to learn, let alone the guests would probably think dancing tango would be a very pedantic gesture of mine so I guessed I'll have to wait for my counterpart to suggest something when the day comes and I'll worry about the light and the menu and seeing if I can get some popular artist in future decadence like beck or jamiroquai to play for an hour or two in exchange for food and some clothes.

(Yes, all this idiotic thoughts crossed my mind in brief 42 seconds when the first ballad was about to end. I didn't say anything to the people on my table because the weren't drunk enough and I'd seriously doubt they'd be interested in discussing the first song they'd like to play at their wedding.)

I'm really not much of a ballad listener, I mean I really enjoy many of them good old power ballads from the 80's although they make me think more of strip-joints than of people dancing, but I can't stand listening to that much cheese past the 10 minute mark. Sadly, for some of us, the assured celebrity of people like Kelly Clarkson and a group of female artists more focused on their vocal chords than rocking out might mean that we may soon see the emergence of the super-ballad once again. It will really only take one movie soundtrack or one career trajectory at the exact right moment to trigger it.

10 CC - I'm not in love
Richard Hawley - the ocean
Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed
Ozzy Osbourne - time after time
The cowboy junkies - sweet jane
Flaming lips - do you realize?
13th floor elevators - splash 1
Man man - gold teeth

Image: Cupevampe.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:10 AM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    I'm Not In Love is a definite, y'know, like keep them on their toes. Although, maybe that gets old after awhile.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/transmoon

    ozzy rules...

     
  • At 11:49 AM, October 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe you should tango with Jamiroquai while the groom plays "heartbeats" with the band.
    You'd also invite some people like Kelly Clarkson so she can drink herself off and reconsider her music career!

     
  • At 1:15 PM, October 07, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    jajaja tengo el presentimiento de que Kelly Clarkson malacopea y se pone a arruinar bodas ajenas.

     
  • At 2:03 AM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    me sorry, moka, but macca and ozzy songs are shit. didnt read your post though;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home