23.2.06

New albums this week + some sort of interview with Man Man

Well, I was interviewing Les Mizzle, from Man Man about the "six demon bag" release, but it seems he kept pooping all the time (I think he was nervous over the release date...) and I could only ask him 3 quick questions not too worthy to read. I'll publish two of the questions anyway:

Moka: Could you tell me some of the artists you guys been listening to on the tour bus?
Les Mizzle: tour bus??? How about Tour Van. Rented. Ouch.
Monorchid, Bablicon, Icy Demons, Cat Power, Bad Brains, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Brainiac, Three Mile Pilot, Mu, The Chronic, Smiley Smile, Judas Priest, Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Broadcast, Little Beaver, Battles, Pete Rock, Snoop, The Frogs and more to come...
Moka: (laugh) ...and is man man planning to take their rented tour van to Mexico? or how about Europe... I've heard some really good reviews from you guys in there.
Les Mizzle: Well, we would certainly like to but we have to take it one step at a time. Trying to cover as much ground as we can across the US is our first priority. I couldn't mark our first planned excursion to Mexico or Europe on a calendar for you but, in time it is an eventuallity that we will make the trek to both lands.

I then went asking him to tell me a bit more about the "mexican funeral music" influence on their sound but then "Six demon bag" came out and I lost any track of him, I'll update the post if he ever answers back...
Anyway, if you ever get the chance to see them live, do so. They pull out great shows (to be honest, I've never been to one of their concerts but people keep telling me how great their performances are.) They'll be playing at the SXSW festival which will be taking place in Austin this march, don't miss them if you're there.
Six Demon Bag was officialy released tuesday through the Acefu label.

Man Man - feathers

Drum's not dead, the third album by The Liars was released monday via the mute label. Too soon to make an honest review but I've been finding this album very addictive. This is my favorite track so far:

Liars - a visit from drum

Talking about them, this tuesday, 20jazzfunkgreats uploaded three tracks from artists keeping the drums alive and kicking (Impractical cockpit, coughs & this heat), I particulary agree on adding "this heat" when talking about Liars but I'd like to add some Can and Einsturzende Neubaten to the kicking drum mix:

Einsturzende Neubaten - sabrina
This Heat - sleep
Can - halleluwah (edit)

And my last recommendation goes to Chihei Hatakeyama's debut, Minima Moralia, out on the kranky label this week.
Minima Moralia is full of beautiful escapist hymns for people who can't stand the pop culture anymore. It must mean something that I've finding it very lovely today.

Chihei Hatakeyama - towards a tranquil marsh

Image: Man man in session.

Ah yes, go watch this video with a really cool cover of "total eclipse of the heart"- say, could someone please give me some information on this strange kitchen players?

16 Comments:

  • At 12:15 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Dig the picture of Man Man! Crazy name, crazy guys! Heh! Awesome post. Yeah, Neubaten! Noticed that 20jfg gave props! High praise indeed!

     
  • At 3:22 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my favorite new liars song + my favorite einsturzende song + my favorite this heat song.
    I fell like we are soulmates.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    yeah, but Moka has half the internet music library in her head. So, practically she can create a smooth list to meke verybody feel like her soul mate.

    (sorry to burst your bubble. :p)

     
  • At 4:29 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    20JFG forgets to put Public enemy and four tet. THAT on top of missing James Brown and no p-funk whatsoever...

    what the....

    at the very least they could have put Bill Laswell. (that's it. I am posting a gigantic list this weekend to ractify this "missing" problem)

     
  • At 4:39 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    oh, I am not done yet... how can a 'drum is not dead' list doesn't include Don caballero? how how how...? how is that possible?

    hmmm...? Hello, hello, anybody home? Mcfly?

    (okay so he is not exactly head bopping danceable, but a tribute has to be proper doesn't it?)

     
  • At 4:44 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    Like a eagle recommended me some other artists that are doing this type of drum thing forgotten by 20jfg:
    Silver Apples, The Camberwell Now and The Chromatics.

    You're right, I forgot Don Caballero too... but this was just a preliminary sort of thing.

     
  • At 5:05 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Moka..hah. okay I am loading up mini drum list this weekend. something fun... I don't have a lot. but a couple are delicious enough.

    (I'll scrunch everything else in single post. I guess, people just have to deal with messy single post. :D )

     
  • At 5:05 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    will I get some help with the hurra torpedo thing?

     
  • At 5:10 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    "Moka said...
    will I get some help with the hurra torpedo thing?"

    w00t hurra torpedo? you lost me...

     
  • At 5:21 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    watch the video ;)
    I can't believe I'm studying marketing and I didn't mention the notorious ass crack on the stove player.

     
  • At 6:07 PM, February 23, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    hmm, too blurry to see his face. maybe post a question to get the original TV airing/date/listing and see it from there?

     
  • At 10:11 PM, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.hurratorpedo.com/

     
  • At 7:35 AM, February 24, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    :), ;)

     
  • At 5:48 PM, February 24, 2006, Blogger like a eagle said…

    i'll see if i can get a full list of this type of shuffling magical dark and light music up here this weekend.......this heat, camberwell now, silver apples, etc...

    hope all are doing well :)

     
  • At 1:28 PM, February 25, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    thanks scottobear!
    will like a eagle make a drum list for us or will he go and fight evil robots in space? stay tuned.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, February 27, 2006, Blogger drfloyd said…

    solo para felicitarlos por su blog e invitarlos a visitar la pagina del grupo DeNTS:
    http://no.use.free.fr

     

Post a Comment

<< Home