9.10.06

The second sun

And as far as you eye demands another sun, see if there is behind you another sun.
Sun to see, is understood, with another different celebration, another fragrance, another love more love.

Virginia Astley - a summer since long passed
(from gardens where we feel secure, 1983)
Raro & Apenino - #6
(s/t, 2006)
Ze Ramalho & Lula Cortes - harpa dos ares
(Paebiru, 1975)
The Kallikak Family - guitar 2
(may 23rd 2007, 2005)
Red Favorite - taken in
(s/t, 2006)
Martin, Basinski, Heeman - untitled
(untitled, 2003)
Valerie Webb & Paul Labreque - what we stole from the fire
(trees, chants & hollers, 2006)

Those nights were I went off alone for a drive out of the city to listen to some music while watching stars and cars passing on the highway are slowly coming back. Specially check out "#6" and "taken in" from raro & apenino and red favorite, a pair of psych folk gems taken from two of the most hypnotic and beautiful debuts (in every sense) I've heard this year.

Today I'm testing some alternate uploads on fileden since ezarchive's been upside down... apparently they intend to jack up the account's price and will finally provide a decent upload service that doesn't fall down as much as the actual one yet they will limit bandwith and have an upload meter installed. Anyways, any problem downloading the files please let me know.

Image: Maxi Luchini.

6 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger music is art said…

    hmmmmmm beautiful list! love the red favorite ...especially that cd cover.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Really nice!

     
  • At 5:13 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Sheesh! Virginia Astley! That's some serious class... Great stuff Moka! I'm looking for that L. P. at the moment, should be a toughie. Although I ended up finding the Daryl Hall Sacred Songs right after you posted it, so maybe it's Moka magic and I'll end up finding this one too!

     
  • At 7:57 PM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ey moka, te he enviado la de cece que me has pedido en el post de kahlo al gmail.

    este playlist me ha encantado un sonido muy intimo y muy... matutino? me las voy a poner en el ipod para levantarme en las mañanas. Esa de virginia astley y la de ze ramalho y lula cortes estan bellisimas, cuesta creer el año en que fueron hechas, lo digo por la calidad en la producción. gracias por descubrirnoslas.+

     
  • At 8:51 PM, October 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I adore A Summer Long Since Passed... I remember searching high and low here in Toronto to find it many years ago on side two of the 12" single, Some Small Hope. It was well worth the effort - I still treasure it. A real piece of magic. It was one of the very first pieces of vinyl I converted to mp3 when I got a computer.
    It's great to know others still know of her, and appreciate her work.

     
  • At 1:01 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    thank you everyone :)

    Glad to read you enjoyed the virginia astley, it's been spinning constantly on my stereo this weeks.

    I have the "from gardens where we feel secure" lp and it was really difficult to get mkrgk, so if you have no luck finding it I'll gladly rip it and send it your way ;).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home