4.2.06

Tiki + Space Age Lounge

I've noticed that the less I watch TV, the more I'm attracted to space age lounge and tiki. I even installed some red and yellow bulbs in my room some 3 years ago, but my mother was very embarrased to show my "cabaret" room to the guests and she took the colored bulbs off.

This January, "Instituto Mexicano del Sonido" released her lp "Mejico Maxico" on the states through the magnificent Noiselab label. Camilo (IMS) brings back to life lagunilla style music by recycling his old records, you can definitely hear an influence from the great mexican musician Esquivel on his songs and that's always a good thing. For more info as well as some free mp3s visit his space.

Some new blogs: My man, squashed, started a new blog on January called Bricolage Fantasy. The blog's purpose will be to review several old/new indie artists and he'll only be linking to mp3s provided by the artist's label. Go on and take a peek, he recently posted a third eye foundation and Dntel songs and a cover from The Stooges by Solex.

Also Akaraff has a new blog called Pockettrax. The blog requires free registration (I guess he did it to save some bandwith) but I really think the registration is worth the time. Every post (or release as he calls them) features 5 trax and the blog is updated almost daily. Right now he has some nice "pretty girls make graves" and "dead meadow" songs on it.
Have a nice saturday.

Martin Denny - misirlou
Esquivel - flower girl from bordeaux
Les Baxter - jungalero
Lalo Schifrin - the aftermath of love
James Clarke - double take
Miles Davis - Nem um talvez
The MGM band - fashion show
Instituto Mexicano del sonido - mirando a las muchachas

The image comes from the album cover of Mandrill's greatest hits. I think I'll keep retro for a while, the most interesting records of the year for me will come out by mid 2006.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:51 PM, February 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    el ims es bastante chido.
    como he dicho
    haria orgulloso a esquivel.

    y esa rolita de mgm band es
    de alguna pelicula en especial?
    me suena filmeliar.

    disfrute su sabado.

    GiL

     
  • At 6:01 AM, February 05, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Ahhhhh...Yeah! I was trying to convince Dexterity to post Esquivel (he has some, but he's holding out on me!), but you've done a lovely job here. Respec!

     
  • At 10:41 AM, February 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmm... la verdad no se Gil, habria que checartelo, me acabo de dar cuenta que no es la MGM band sino la MGM studio orchestra...tengo que editar aquello.

    We need more Esquivel around here makrugaik, tell dexterity to post him!

    No, I dont have any problems with the registration akaraff. I think I'll ban the anonymous comments on the blog too.

     
  • At 2:15 PM, February 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    ...what's a community?

    I need to get me one of those too. I hope that doesn't need oil change too often. :D ...I need to be more serious about this thing don't I?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home