28.7.06

Dub Flavored Goodness

Some dub and reggae flavored music for these melting days we've been having here lately at my city. I'll start with the classic reggae tune "I chase the devil" from Max Romeo which was later used as a sample on a certain Prodigy song and it comes from the album "The War in Babylon" which is an excellent album from start to finish and you should hunt it down immediatly if you like this sort of music.

Next comes a track from Moderat, which is a collaboration between Modeselektor & Apparat (therefore, moderat, get it?), the song comes from a compilation german magazine De:Bug released and will very probably have an official release by the end of the year (at leats I hope it does, the collaboration sounds very promising based on this track).

Since the past song counts with the collaboration of Paul St. Hilaire, I thought it'd be nice to have something from the legendary "Rhytm & sound" catalog. I'd suggest you to hunt "See Mi Yah remixes" (released in March 2005) which is basically the original instrumental "Rhythm & Sound" track plus 10 vocal versions of the song remixed by well-known electronic artists. I chose the Willi Williams as it's the one I fancy the most but the other vocal renditions and remixes are worth your money (well, as long as you don't mind listening to the same song reversioned eleven times), check the playlist and album info here.

"Ganja smuggling" from Eek-a-mouse's "Wa-do-dem" is a real fun track sung in eek-a-mouse's own vocal style called "sing-jay" and then comes Manu Chao. I admit I'm constantly burnt-out at his music but in all the simplicity and naive optimism he injects on his songs lies precisely its deceptively strong appeal. I've lost count of the amount of times I've been forced to listen to his album "Clandestino" in parties around here. The song I offer to you comes from his last year's album "Siberie M'etait contee" which was recorded as an accompaniment to a book of illustrations done by cartoonist Wozniak and which was only printed in limited amounts. The reggae and latin influences are gone for the most part in this album, as it is a sort of homage to Paris. "Siberie fleuve amor" is the most recognizable song from the release with a xylophone thrown in over the usual percussive driven elements Manu Chao is well known for.

The dub part ends with two leaked goodies from the Easy Star All-stars Radiodread tribute out on November: "No surprises" and "Let Down". The former counts with the participation of the Meditations and the later with the ever hyperactive Toots and his Maytals. I was honestly expecting much less from this tribute, ok computer taken to the ever dangerous kaya territory sounded a really bad idea to me. Turns out these two songs work in their own tedious kind of way. Judge for youself and hope you have a nice weekend. Oh and also sorry for any writing inconsistencies, I'm in a bit of a hurry and I don't have the time to double check the write-up, I'll try and edit the post tomorrow.

Noches.

Max Romeo - I chase the devil
Moderat - let your love grow (feat. Paul St. Hilaire)
Willi Williams - see mi yah
Manu Chao - siberie fleuve amor
Easy Star All Stars - no surprises (feat. The Meditations)
Easy Star All Stars - let down (feat. Toots and the Maytals)

Image: Herve di Rosa

8 Comments:

  • At 11:26 AM, July 29, 2006, Blogger fascistsoundwaves said…

    I've been waiting in anticipation for a reggae comp. Great job, Moka! The sounds are ecclectic and varied (a great thing...it would be rather easy to screw up a reggae mix with vapidness and monotony).

    If you or anyone should get the chance, tune into [kexp.org] at 9am Saturdays (or stream from their archived programming at the same time) for some great original dubbing and reggae sounds. The show's called Positive Vibrations.

    Thanks again. Keep up the good fight!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, July 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that moderat track is ace!
    and I'm liking that letdown version better than the original.

     
  • At 4:50 PM, July 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the Radiodread tracks. :-)

     
  • At 3:12 AM, July 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post…The Max Romeo track give me a weird error when I try to download…any chance of a repost?

     
  • At 11:57 AM, July 31, 2006, Blogger fascistsoundwaves said…

    Aye, Max Romeo won't ply for me either.

     
  • At 1:52 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    the max romeo seems to be working now, maybe the ezarchive fell down when you attempted to download. Try now and if it keeps giving problems I'll reupload.
    Thanks.

     
  • At 9:30 PM, July 31, 2006, Blogger fascistsoundwaves said…

    Unfortunately, the track still doesn't work with Media Player for me..."invalid media format," but Properties calls it mp3 all the same.

     
  • At 6:19 AM, August 02, 2006, Blogger Eric said…

    Wow. Those Radiodread tracks are great! Love the Manu Chao as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home