1.8.06

My last vacation days will see my attempt to drink jagermesiter for the first time in an impressive tempo

My last week of vacations and I'm trying to stretch it as much as I can.

The first time I heard Sometree I had to double check if Thom Yorke wasn't contributing vocals to the song. I know it's not weird finding thom clones in brit music but the resemblance to the early 90's Thom's voice is amazing. In a similar fashion, Boy Omega kept reminding me of Robert Smith's voice which is really good on my book. Add some warm but unrisky electro-organic music to join it and we're halfway there.

I can't remember how the song "one in 10,000" from Brilliant Fanzine appeared in my files but yesterday the song kept ringing all day in my head with it's opening chorus line “And right from the first time I met you, I couldn't forget you. There's something about you." and it's piano line that somehow kept reminding me to Monaco's 90's hit "what do you want from me". Just to verify, I downloaded the Monaco song and after a close inspection, I couldn't find any similarities or whatsoever to the Brilliant Fanzine one but the whole process brought up some good memories of those months when the Monaco one was hitting on the radio.

Crazy Girl are unknown to me by any other means than their song "the rebel" remixed by electronic wizard Optimo. The result is a fuzzy number with some rebel selling his soul to the devil or something like that.

Surely he'll never surpass his father's work but Baxter Dury (that's Ian Dury's son if you couldn't guess it) was clever enough to keep his father's exquisite, snobish accent, and the never ungrateful Velvet underground influence. Now, how about two ex-spiritualized members joining him? Sounds promising, yeh. But to be honest, the final product doesn't enthusiasm me that much, aside from some narcotized highlights every now and then it seems Baxter has really not too much to say. "Waiting for surprises" from his late 2005 album "Floor show" is a nice tribal, atmospheric number that brings to mind the obvious Spiritualized influence while also chanelling a super furry animals vibe along that might be just perfect for the common summer afternoon activity of scoring dope.

Two weeks ago at the beach, one of my doomed friends played his werk 80 album by Atrocity while we were dining the half good spaghetti I did for them. Werk 80 is a covers only album translating 80's pop hits into the industrial metal territory and it counts with the beautiful and talented Liv Kristine Espenaes from Theatre of tragedy joining them in 5 songs. "Shout", originally from Tears for Fears, is a nice cover with huge drums and a nice string section in the middle, gets a bit repetitive with the shout-chorus but, well, so was the original one.

Sometree - Hands & arrows
Boy Omega - if only
Brilliant Fanzine - one in 10,000
Crazy girl - the rebel (gris gris optimo rmx)
Baxter Dury - waiting for surprises
Atrocity - shout (tears for fears)

Image: Josef Breitenbach.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:00 PM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hola moka, me sucedio lo mismo que ate con Sometree al escuchar por primera vez a Muse y pensar que Thom Yorke estaba cantando

     
  • At 2:30 PM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that baxter dury song is sweet, oh and also the shout cover! Thanks.

     
  • At 3:12 PM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    las primeras canciones que escuché de Muse fueron 'feeling good' y 'muscle museum'. om no se si eso justifique que los haya confundido.

     
  • At 4:56 PM, August 01, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    Muse no me gusta, a decir verdad me desagrada bastante, pero en los primeros discos el vocalistas si parecia que queria dar el tono de thom yorke, yo tambien creo que le daba un cierto tono a la voz desesperada de thom yorke ala electioneering o paranoid android. Hoy en dia ya los de Muse han agarrado un estilo mas propio y ya no me recuerda a thom yorke.

     
  • At 5:45 PM, August 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    no creo haber escuchado nada nuevo de ellos, me quede con aquellas canciones.
    Pero creo que desvié mucho el tema, la canción de Sometree esta buena.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home