8.1.06

3 artists I overlooked on 2005

There's many great music that was released on 2005 which I didn't got the chance to hear until now. The thing is; there's 3 artists that released records on 2005 that I'd like to mention, because I used to made bad publicity while talking about their past efforts, wont happen again, a sincere apology for all the damages caused...

The Fiery Furnaces - rehearsing my choir
Download: The garfield e!

Well, to be honest, I still find this album just awful and horrendously executed and I still loathe this band and I still don't get the press surrounding them. But, after listening closely to the album-opener, "The garfield E!", my hate towards this band was instantly diminished. Just listen to that romantic opening with the vocalist commanding to his piano: "Faster, hammers!" and then starts talking about his lost love. It's quite beautiful, actually.

Beck - guero
Download: Scarecrow
Download: earthquake weather

When I first heard this album, I thought it made a tedious listen and didn't offered anything new. And, well, I still feel this way about "guero" and his remixed son "guerolito" but then, there's some few tracks which are fairly interesting or at least fun to listen to on this record like: the samba influenced "missing", the sparse and swampy, "scarecrow" or the blue souled "earthquake weather" among others. Not his best album (maybe the worst) but still I'd like to mention it because I have been seriously overlooking Beck since his past 4 albums when he's been such a good boy to all of us.

Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow
Download: Santa Maria da Feira
Download: I feel just like a child

After listening to a few songs on "rejoicing in the hands" and "el nino rojo" I dismissed Devendra Banhart as an opportunist trying to take advantage of the growing "freak-folk" scene, for me, he was being willfully bizarre (how does that work?). I didn't got close to "cripple crow" even when I saw it on various year-end lists and some reviewers kept telling everyone how good it was. Then came the song "Santa Maria da feira" and I decided to give him a second chance that I don't regret.
That raw, solitaire and whining artist I hated is long gone... his songs have become more elaborated, his arrangements are precise and he's being backed by a band of musician friends which call themselves "The hairy fairies". And you know the thing that amazed me the most? His take on bohemian latin music is quite good (he even covers a classic Simon Diaz ditty), not to mention his impeccable accent. A very nostalgic trip to the newness that brought the eastern hippieness for those of us who weren't there... highly recommended, I'm very sorry for ignoring this one before,... Oh yes, and I love the eerie group photo on the cover.

Update: Adding the very nice mexican mp3 blog Sonorama to the sidebar. Can't believe this was under my radar for so long. Take a look, great layout and even if you don't understand anything on the site, download some great quality songs from many mexican indie artists.
Muy buen trabajo!

10 Comments:

  • At 3:28 PM, January 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How could you talk shit about Devendra!? He's a true ARTIST. it's good you repent it.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, January 08, 2006, Blogger Eric said…

    No matter how hard I tried (and I did) I just couldn't get into the Fiery Furnaces. Not my thing I guess.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Seems to me that I need to purchase that new Devendra album. I had similar feelings about the older stuff (willfully bizarre! Tell him!) but those tracks kinda blew me away. In his Mojo interview he mentioned having been influenced by Caetano this time around, which definately comes across. I had been meaning to check it out, so thanks! As far as Beck's concerned, I'm also not too impressed with Guero. I can't believe he made an album like that after Sea Change. It's a good lesson for everyone, though. Don't become a Scientoligist after a really heavy breakup. He helped me there at least!!!

     
  • At 2:14 PM, January 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes eric, I agree, those guys suck hard, I'm only rescuing this song...
    Glad you liked the devendra makrugaik, he's been my current obsession, I'd reccomend the song "quedate luna" which sixeyes is offering along other two right here:
    http://sixeyes.blogspot.com/2006/01/free-freak-folk-mp3s.html

     
  • At 2:42 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    :D

     
  • At 9:24 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Julio Enriquez said…

    Neta, overlooked?? The Fiery Furnace album was pretty over the top, the Beck album is pretty hard to digest, but Devendra is the SHIZNITZ, I think alot of people have been on to him for a while...

    P.S.
    Have you seen Ely Guerra live, she's coming to my hometown this month and I am wondering if it will be a good concert.

     
  • At 6:35 PM, January 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I guess it depends on her (ely guerra) ;)
    Yes, I've seen here live and she threw a great concert, that was a year after she released Lotofire...

     
  • At 2:03 PM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Devendra is a revivalist. he dredges up a lot of past nuance and he is a capable singer songwriter. For that he should get big credit. He also brings up and associate with a lot of new artists. Another credit from me.

    As for 'neo-psych folks' crowd. I really like Joanna Newsom. She is a skilled instrumentalist and write incredible lyrics. (okay so she does that weird voicing... hence freak?)

    I for one think newsom will start creating her own voice soon enough after dabbling with this 'neo psych folks' stuff. Her musical skill is much more than simple folks song.

    btw, I think this revivalist thing has something to do with the fact almost all of those crowd are "art students" Could be their penchant for playing with idioms and odd activity of dredgin up old works.

     
  • At 8:50 AM, January 13, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Fair point. I think that Devendra may have begun focusing on creating music that sounds well structured as opposed to artifice. His art is actually quite good. Maybe the fact that he was trained to be an artist gave him better skills in presentation of visual art than music. Now he's practised a bit and he's become better at making music. I love art students.

     
  • At 5:41 AM, February 15, 2006, Blogger le bital said…

    well, maybe she just don't like Devendra and that's it...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home