9.1.06

For Laisy

Since the whole chillout boom began, we've been overcrowded with cheap light bossa which doesn't come from brazil and gets a lot of overproduction at someone's studio somewhere in north England.
I must confess with a little shame that I love the brazilian sound revival, even when the music doesn't quite swing as real bossa nova and samba does, but, every now and then we get to hear some really sexy songs that succeed on recreating the traditional bossa and samba feel.
Take nouvelle vague, for example, sure, they get boring after a few listenings, but wont you agree their take on the great classic punk song "teenage kicks" is quite noteworthy? Or maybe the mosquitos, whose mix of bossa and indie pop definitely makes a fun cocktail bedroom listen. Even more succesful is Cabaret Diosa, capturing an authentic raw carnival feel for the purists and the not so purists like myself. By the way, about that Amon Tobin song, people keep asking me if it's the "bebel gilberto's song", the answer is, No. Bebel Gilberto just started singing on top of it and renamed it as "samba da bencao", similar to the thing Bjork did with the beautiful "heirloom" song, which is in fact, just Bjork singing on top of "Crabcraft" from Console. Speaking of her, I'm hoping that Grisbi cover suits your daily needs of bjork-esque music. Enjoy.

Cabaret Diosa - comet samba
Nouvelle Vague - teenage kicks
The sea and cake - darkest night
Fingathing - you fly me
The mosquitos - boom box
Amon Tobin - Nova
Grisbi - army of me
Yo la tengo - center of gravity
Cocktail Angst - bates motel

Today's post is dedicated to the loving memory of Laisy. A tus ojazos negros Laisy, que siempre se quedan en la memoria.

11 Comments:

  • At 7:06 PM, January 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That teenage kicks cover is great. Enjoying everything else, good trax.
    Sorry about yr dog.

     
  • At 9:15 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Amy said…

    Some great stuff! A beautiful, angelic looking dog. Just this past week my mom and one of my best friends lost beloved pets.

     
  • At 12:16 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    I don't think we've "met" because i retired for a bit, but i'm back, and heard you were a "cant miss" so hello--- I'll be checking in daily. Stop by and say hello sometime, eh?

    Sorry for your loss.

    "Joyful, joyful, joyful,
    as only dogs know how to be happy
    with only the autonomy
    of their shameless spirit."
    -Neruda, from "A Dog Has Died"

     
  • At 7:41 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Javier said…

    Me gustaría saber como lo haces para subir archivos. gracias
    y aprovecho de invitarte a mi blog de poesía y fotografía http://javierzapata.blogspot.com/
    Se llama Ropa interior y son fragmentos de un libro que pienso publicar próximamente.

     
  • At 8:04 AM, January 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cutest dog ever!

    John of The Attorneys

     
  • At 8:20 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Looks like she was a nice dog. She did have such dark eyes. I was insipred to spend some quality time with my cat while I listened to the tracks. Loved the Amon Tobin and Fingathing.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Just Me... said…

    Heyy muy buena selección, Amon Tobin, Yo la Tengo, Nouvelle Vague (versionando a the Undertones), The Sea nd the Cake..wow que más se puede pedir si estos suenan con un swing mas caluroso más brazil...bien por este blog. me gusto me gusto ojala y no haya proble si lo pongo en mis links...saludos

     
  • At 6:40 PM, January 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks everyone, for the kind comments! Thank u.
    Horrible: Tenemos un ezarchive account, por desgracia cuesta... puedes intentar usar el savefile o metete a esta pagina: http://storage.lemonhost.net/ para ver varias opciones para subir gratuitamente.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    I was actually on the brink of using ezarchive, but then South Africa wasen't listed under the card details page! My search continues!
    Moka: I was wondering what you thought of Esquivel, with him being from Mexico and all. I miss that king of the out of space lounge, 'cos I foolishly sold the stuff I had of his awhile ago!!!!

     
  • At 1:17 PM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's LAZY!!!! you bastard!!!!!!!
    jo jo jo...

     
  • At 7:59 AM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First time I write a post here, The site is fantastic, and wanted to tell you sorry about your Laisy... I'm sure there is a place where dogs wait for their human family.

    Sorry...was a lovely dog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home