8.2.06

9 songs I play ad infinitum.

Here's some songs that I could definitely handle listening to forever, they’re the songs that I never, ever get sick of hearing. If there's some songs you never get sick of hearing through the years and feel I have sinned for ignoring them, then post a comment about them.

Estas son algunas canciones que nunca me aburro de escuchar, como cualquier junkie musical, a cada rato me dan obsesiones por alguna cancion o algun album, encontrare algun nuevo narcotico y lo escuchare una y otra vez mientras pienso: "Esta cancion es la mamada!, nunca me voy a aburrir de escucharla" y luego, por supuesto, sucede. La mataste. Todo lo bueno se acaba, pero luego estan estas canciones que son tan buenas que son indelebles al paso del tiempo y las que siguen a continuacion son las mias. Si tienen alguna cancion que nunca se aburren de escuchar y creen que he pecado de omision, dejen un comment con la susodicha. Besitos a todos. Duermen rico.

David Bowie - letter to hermione
I first heard this one when I was like 14 years old because an uncle gave me his records "space oddity" and "dark side of the moon" as an "open your eyes" present. I then decided I was going to trade nature for music, it was the epoch that I discovered I was born under the sign of music and all my views towards life were completely renewed. Im no fucking buddhist but this was my enlightenment, right there, listening to this certain song on repeat whilst lying on bed with headphones and staring at the roof without being quite sure of what I was supposed to do.

Bob Dylan - most of the time
The song that formerly introduced me to Dylan. And I'm sure Dylan fans will hate me for this, but I first found out about the existence of this one through the high fidelity soundtrack. I didn't even watched the movie, a friend had the soundtrack and I was instantly hooked to Dylan after hearing this very song. I haven't stopped listening to it since then.

Nick Drake - pink moon
In it's amazing simplicity, this song is passionate enough to break your heart and catchy enough to sell millions of volkswagens. The whole "pink moon" album is still one of my favorite records.

Red House Painters - all mixed up
Another one that was later used on an ad, this time from GAP and yes, it's a cover from "the cars". Songs for a blue guitar was one of the albums I listened to the most while growing up. This specifical song brings back many good memories, even all the way back to my childhood when my father used to play his records from "the cars" at his office.

Radiohead - no surprises
I still haven't found an album that has struck me as much as Ok computer. Sure, if you listen to it now it's very far from the original impact it created on music at the time but still, this album has a great effect on me because it was there with me during 3 years on repeat and while there are many Radiohead songs I'm happy to hear constantly, this is the one I could listen to gladly everyday of my life. And this one's definitely playing on my weeding someday...

Cat Power - metal heart
At my most alienated, Chan Marshall's voice has always been there by my side. I rarely listen to my cat power albums anymore and I really don't care that much about her last releases but I know this one by heart because I've backed-up this song in every computer I've ever used.

Tom Waits - Alice
A jazzy breathtaking masterpiece, my very adored Mr. Waits emulating the style of his very adored Louis Armstrong. This is my idea of a romantic song. Which reminds me, recently jefitoblog did a pretty good idiot's guide to the whole Tom Waits discography. The mp3 links are broken already (very soon I'd say... it has barely been a week since he posted it...) but I recommend you to take a peek anyways if you still haven't dared to listen to this magnificent man.

Ralph Vaughn Williams - the lark ascending
I think I'm done with the lousy descriptions that will never do justice to this songs. I'll just follow the advice of Clem Bastow and I'll give you the poem instead:

He rises and begins to round,
He drops the silver chain of sound,
Of many links without a break,
In chirrup, whistle, slur and shake.

For singing till his heaven fills,
‘Tis love of earth that he instils,
And ever winging up and up,
Our valley is his golden cup
And he the wine which overflows to lift us with him as he goes.

Till lost on his aerial rings
In light, and then the fancy sings. - George Meredith

Debussy - claire de lune
My all time favorite song. I've been hearing it since birth and I'll hear it until death. No matter what time of year or my emotional state, this song is as welcomed and necessary as water in my life. It does what great music is meant to do- it makes a connection. I well up everytime I hear it. I'm actually hearing to it right now...

The image is from Marc Chagall, an artist whose work I could stare at forever. (Well, maybe not technically forever, but certainly for a long time).

21 Comments:

  • At 4:54 PM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Totally cool list, I think I'll join the game and think about those songs I never get sick of hearing too...

     
  • At 6:01 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger gfiglsdfdfsdfsdf said…

    me hiciste recordar algo que hice hace algunos meses, te lo linqueo porque es creo que sirve mucho para conocerme, de donde vengo y por que escucho lo que escucho.

    http://ruidoestatica.blogspot.com/2005/07/ruidoesttica-en-regreso_18.html

    metal heart...

     
  • At 6:05 PM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Discazos los que pones ahi! Estuve a punto de poner una cancion de Mecano aqui pero luego me di cuenta que aunque me encantan casi todas sus canciones la verdad es que no soportaria escucharlas todos los dias.
    El señor cano es el mas brillante compositor y letrista en la historia del pop.
    Tambien gybe, animal collective, souvlaki, el violator y homogenic son imprescindbles para mi.

     
  • At 6:29 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger mau said…

    qué hermosa selección señor
    quito la capota que sirve de sombrero a este humilde robot.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great list. it's funny, I was thinking of claire de lune the other night. took a "symphonic masterworks" class in college and that song, for some reason, just hit me as amazing. thanks for including it. I'm a big fan of the rest of the list as well.

     
  • At 1:20 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    aha, so now I know where to begin when I am lost what to post here.

     
  • At 2:10 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Kahlo said…

    Qué genial selección, creo que me voy a hacer un cd sólo con estas. :D ¡Jooo Moka me estás aficionando mucho a la música!

    una sonrisa

     
  • At 2:24 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Unknown said…

    Anonymous said...
    great list. it's funny, I was thinking of claire de lune the other night. took a "symphonic masterworks" class in college and that song, for some reason, just hit me as amazing.


    there is another debussy "cathedral" floating around on the net somewhere. that one is also very well played. I am still trying to figure out who played it. (do altavista if you are curious. or I might make a list sometimes...who knows)

     
  • At 5:14 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Griselda García said…

    Tu blog es muy bueno! Gracias! Felicitaciones!

     
  • At 5:24 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Really cool list. Harmony Korine will be doing the first video for Cat Power's new album. He also is doing a new film, so all should be well from here on out. I like La Mer. With regards to being run over: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Masekela
    He didn't mean it. It's just that people drive like maniacs here.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_Korine


    "Señores y señoras, we are floating in outer space."

     
  • At 6:30 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    ...then post a comment about them: Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy, Air - You Make It Easy, Pavement - Gold Soundz, Pavement - Father To A Sister Of Thought, Bjork - One Day (Sabres Of Paradise Mix), Bjork - Unravel, Sonic Youth - Sweet Shine, Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia, Cat Power - Satisfaction, Royal Trux - Hot and Cold Skulls, The Smiths - Reel Around the Fountain, The Smiths - I Won't Share You, The Cure - Catch, The Cure - Just Like Heaven, The Cure - Grinding Halt, The Cure - Inbetween Days, Primal Scream - Higher Than The Sun, Goldie - Timeless, Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene, Dinosaur Jr - Quicksand, Dinosaur Jr - Get Me, The Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea...I'll try think of some more. I posted Unfinished Sympathy today.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds, Original Rockers - Push Push...

     
  • At 6:46 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Gram Parsons - Song For You, Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space...

     
  • At 10:55 AM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    el tom waits me estremece con esa canción...

     
  • At 11:41 AM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The lark ascending is one of my all time favorite songs too. Nice choices!

     
  • At 12:19 PM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Muchisimas gracias por los comments me alegra muchisimo que os hayan gustado.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice picks as well Makrugaik! You should do a complete post about them... unravel is one of my favorite bjork songs, I'm heading to your blog to download that unfinished sympathy.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    ^__^ Tenk yoo...Some of these songs will be featured in my trip through the nineties. Dexterity's busy learning the esoteric knowledge of ripping vinyl, so we should be having some interesting times ahead...and some of those tracks.

     
  • At 1:39 PM, February 13, 2006, Blogger like a eagle said…

    all mixed up is probably in the top 5 songs of all time for me....it instantly makes me think of my wife...the "she's always out making pictures" line is particularly applicable....

    "leave it to me; everything will be alright."

     
  • At 5:19 PM, February 13, 2006, Blogger Moka said…

    Hey adam! Thought you were not coming around here anymore, when will you join us again!? Yes, all mixed up is a great song! Glad you like it :).

     
  • At 10:46 PM, February 15, 2006, Blogger like a eagle said…

    sorry i disappeared for so long...i'm getting things back on track :) taking a vacation this weekend...

    I will try to get some good posts up :)

    yea!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home