10.1.06

Little Love for the Moderns

Little fun with modern classic. I have this theory that the reason all modern classic sounds like Alfred Hitchcock soundtrack has something to do with context. Modernity goal of constructing new structure ends up creating something with no social context. Hence modern atonal works such as Schoenberg's sounds alien. That is the very thing that hollywood horror movie looks for. The result? To the public modern classics all sounds like horror movie soundtrack.

So here is a grandiose idea, let's have fun listening to the moderns by recontextualizing them. Cross your fingers. Below is a short list of my fav pieces. Instead of abstract excercise, let's declare all these pieces to have some stories: functional film music, memory of a friend, exercise of musical composition, and height of pleasure. People and their expressive thoughts. Enjoy.

Phillip Glass - String Quarter No. 3 (Mishima)
Arthur Honegger - Hommage à Ravel
Arnold Schoenberg - Gigue Suite for piano op. 25
John Zorn - Forbidden Fruit

Painting by Kandinsky

9 Comments:

  • At 2:00 PM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Eric Balearic said…

    Nice! Interesting thoughts on context as well. I wish I could get these right now, but I'm at work. New member on the staff alert! Go Squashed!

     
  • At 2:00 PM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The text to John Zorn 'Forbidden Fruit"

    Close my eyes
    Take deep breath
    My memories slash

    You and I, sweat and sweat
    keeen....keeen...slowmotion
    In my ears...enless echoes
    color...empty...colors

    Sitting still, listening still
    Flowing, wrapped within
    Somethng happens

    He is coming. So beautiful
    So I can do it well
    I'm waiting on the beach

    Soon I awake
    Thirst and sigh
    Dazzling and grow dizzy
    Pain... shine

    I lick...I gnaw...I devour.


    -------
    PS. I suppoe there is something to be said about post-modernism feminism point of view. But hey..
    It's an interesting song, very well played too.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Makrugaik said...
    12:00 PM, January 11, 2006

    Hey Makrugaik.
    I got this idea after my friend keep saying several of my CD sounds like bad hitchcock soundtrack. I never figure out why, since I am not a big hitchcock fan.

    btw, I would say from the list above, Honegger is the most elegant one. I highly recommended it. The Zorn piece is fun, it has however a manic screecy opening. But compared to other Zorn work, it's practically a lullaby.

     
  • At 2:56 AM, January 12, 2006, Blogger Markitos said…

    Kandinsky, hacía tiempo que no me acordaba de él.

     
  • At 4:03 AM, January 12, 2006, Blogger Satisfied '75 said…

    philip glass..nice surprise

     
  • At 8:21 AM, January 12, 2006, Blogger like a eagle said…

    this schoenberg is great ;)

    i did some experiments with player piano that wanted to be this good.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey squashed, my internet is currently down but I'll get to the songs as soon as it gets back. I've heard the schoenberg and the honegger song, so I can0t wait to listen the other two tracks you've paired them with.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    like a eagle said...
    this schoenberg is great ;)
    6:21 AM, January 12, 2006


    Yeah it does help being played by 20th century best pianist doesn't it? The piece actually sound like music instead of random piano keyboard hit. Glenn gould is a genius.

    ----------

    random note on 'forbidden fruit' It probably has one of the 'sweetest' ending of any music I've heard. I am not sure why it work. the combination of overall harsh composition contrasted with her voice?

     
  • At 1:01 PM, January 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree on the genius of Gould, the Schoenberg track is much better than the one I already had. Thanks. The other songs are brilliant too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home